Tuesday, April 27, 2004

I've been feeling nostalgic lately about picking berries when I was a girl. My mom and I used to have this agreement each summer that however many grades I was entering into at school the next Fall was how many flats I had to pick. I know my sister had this directive as well, but I don't recall ever seeing her pick a bucket of berries. I remember her eating a whack of raspberries and readily utilizing the communal trampoline on sight for rangy kids needing an outlet to blast some energy on. Picking raspberries for the number of summers I did has permanently left me without a desire to eat raspberries ever again. On the other hand, the feeling that summer is coming with the field-greenery blossoming to a full berry harvest makes me remember the smell of the fresh berries and the dirt which my bare feet were so often coddled in.

CBC Radio 3 has this great website offering weekly picture-porfolios of Canadian living. One that particularly caught my attention last Fall was this exhibit on Abbotsford berry farmers. The photos are stellar, bright, narrated with a soft touch and with great tunes to boot. I encourage you to check this set of 12 pics out to get a glimpse of the vibrant colours of Indo-Canadian farmers among the greenery of the berry farms. CBC is becoming more and more a destination for me to feel connected to my country. It keeps me grounded.

Directions to view the picture gallery: Click on this link and then choose from the left sidebar CBC Radio 3. Once you're there, choose Archives at the bottom of the page. In the search bar, type Born Farmers and click go for the search. Enjoy!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?