Friday, April 16, 2004
The pictures came back, all 35 rolls of them. What a load, to bring in and later on retrieve. Thankfully Lens and Shutter decided that I earned a discount, so the end price didn't hurt as much as I had anticipated. I left the store with a small box loaded up full of wonder. I was so pleased to see that most of the pictures turned out to my liking. The filters that I purchased pre-trip turned out to be essential as the heat and washed out landscape of the country was eliminated from the gorgeous and elaborate architecture and costuming of the people. There were a few over-exposed rolls but that couldn't be helped considering that it was really an over-exposed kind of place and adds to the effect that we were intrepid or something. Artistic interpretation speaking here...
The most poignant part for me in looking at the pictures is how the colour of the saris and turbans captures the irony of India. The vibrant and decadent personalities of the people shine despite the very present hardship that they encounter each day. There is one photo that stands out, taken in Udaipur, Rajasthan, where this train of immaculately and colourfully dressed people are walking through a dried up portion of the lake bed going about their daily routine of transporting laundered clothing beat upon the river steps, retrieving loose wood to burn for fire, or collecting rocks to break up and use for construction of some sort among the green debris and garbage. It is a stark contrast of people to landscape and truly captures the irony of the place. Beautiful and despairing in one snap of a photo. The irony of India is what draws my heart to it. I felt that way about Cuba much of the time were there as well. I have this sense that life is beautiful no matter where you are as long as you are looking for it.
The task ahead lies in looking at the pictures and ensuring that the photo albums aren't too arduous to take in. Seven hundred plus photos to sift through! Thankfully, I have my handy photo journal nearby to help me recall what goes with which place and how I took the frames to learn from my mistakes and rarely, on the positive end, re-do what magic worked while in the photographic process. Fun stuff!
For you photo geeks, my camera simply rules! It is a Canon EOS Elan 7. I transferred my battery supply to double A's on the trip versus lithium and never used up the four that were in there. If I read my battery power on the display it shows full power, like they were brand new! So pleased with the double A's. I find that lithium wears down within 15 rolls and it shows in the finished product.
So, stay tuned for a glimpse of some photos in the next few entries. So many to choose from!
The most poignant part for me in looking at the pictures is how the colour of the saris and turbans captures the irony of India. The vibrant and decadent personalities of the people shine despite the very present hardship that they encounter each day. There is one photo that stands out, taken in Udaipur, Rajasthan, where this train of immaculately and colourfully dressed people are walking through a dried up portion of the lake bed going about their daily routine of transporting laundered clothing beat upon the river steps, retrieving loose wood to burn for fire, or collecting rocks to break up and use for construction of some sort among the green debris and garbage. It is a stark contrast of people to landscape and truly captures the irony of the place. Beautiful and despairing in one snap of a photo. The irony of India is what draws my heart to it. I felt that way about Cuba much of the time were there as well. I have this sense that life is beautiful no matter where you are as long as you are looking for it.
The task ahead lies in looking at the pictures and ensuring that the photo albums aren't too arduous to take in. Seven hundred plus photos to sift through! Thankfully, I have my handy photo journal nearby to help me recall what goes with which place and how I took the frames to learn from my mistakes and rarely, on the positive end, re-do what magic worked while in the photographic process. Fun stuff!
For you photo geeks, my camera simply rules! It is a Canon EOS Elan 7. I transferred my battery supply to double A's on the trip versus lithium and never used up the four that were in there. If I read my battery power on the display it shows full power, like they were brand new! So pleased with the double A's. I find that lithium wears down within 15 rolls and it shows in the finished product.
So, stay tuned for a glimpse of some photos in the next few entries. So many to choose from!