Sunday, May 16, 2004

I have often mentioned that dreams are intended to be realized. When I envisioned seeing India, in all its chaotic glory, I initially thought it was a difficult dream to attain. Sure, there are decisions to be made in order to grab hold of a dream and make it become a reality. In all honesty, the ease of attaining dreams comes at the cost of sacrifice. Sometimes people ask me if I have won the lottery. No, I decided to purchase my dream, rather than hope a ticket will make it occur. I'm not stating that a winning lotto ticket wouldn't be great. In truth, dreams are far more attainable than that comparison. I'm not going to wait for the dream to happen, by chance. That would make me the most pathetic participant in life-time suckage. My point is, going to India wasn't easy, but it wasn't hard once the decision was made.

Here lies my 10 point outline to attaining my dream to travel India.

1. Purchase tickets. Yes, money is necessary for this step.
2. Basic research. Essentially 'where are we landing and what do we need to know about that specific spot'. 'How to get the currency' and 'if English is spoken widely throughout the country'.
3. Get shots or pills for diseases we don't even want to consider exist. More money and short amounts of pain and temporary lack of arm usage.
4. Quit job.
5. Celebrate and anticipate the trip with friends, family and co-workers whom you will be leaving behind.
6. Pack and ensure all elements are in the backpack that are essential, which we are always reminded is far less than one actually takes along.
7. Get on the plane, after a gracious driver has acquiesced to drop us off at the airport.
8. Get through customs. I find this part one of the most gruelling of the ten steps, although without much ado most of the time.
9. Fly to destination. Tiring, but a good buffer for reflection of the steps that led to this point and preparation for the drop off coming closely upon our heels.
10. Arrive and clear customs, feeling more chipper than ever before. Then, find a mode of transportation, whether it be a taxi, tuktuk, bus, motorbike or autorickshaw, to your desired destination which you have never seen before and don't even know if you'll like. But, your there!

So, if you need to hear the 10 best suggested pointers for getting a taxi to your desired destination, drop me a line, because that can seem equally as complicated.

Since returning from India, I have oft recognized that dreams are obtainable. I feel this is reinforced regularly in movies (fictitious and real-life), books, news stories of awe-inspiring proportions, and relative strangers being adventurous around us and inspiring us to do the same. I realized this and wondered why I have no idea what my dear friends and family's dreams are. This should be one of the top things that I know about them. How can a relationship between people involve not having this conversation at the top of the list? Should we be concerned about the fact that our loved ones are not pursuing their dreams? Most certainly! I need people who know me to hold me accountable to developing and creating my dreams into reality. I am dead to myself without that. I believe this is a universal need. Dreams can only be actualized when one is determined to make them happen whatever the cost.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?