Thursday, September 23, 2004
I am 30 today.
Therefore, a listen to my most comforting and enlightening U2 CD is required: The Joshua Tree. The album speaks for itself, so no commentary required therein. Although it is important to note, I am Running to Stand Still.
I do need to state that I love this album completely, though I would not declare it the best of all U2 albums. I've had this conversation with several individuals, Jer most recently, and have declared Achtung Baby the best album to date. All That You Can't Leave Behind is stellar because of the consistent mortality theme throughout, but not the best.
Achtung Baby is the most consistent and inventive. I also love that it encapsulates the early-mid-life-crisis that Bono claims to have had during the recording and subsequent tour of the album. It clearly embodies my search for self over the past decade, better than any other album, U2 or otherwise. It claims no particular answers, which is not only a recognition of our fallability, but also a nod to our ability to rise up and declare our independence. Okay, I've started a U2 conversation. With me, this sort of dialogue can get very detailed and long-winded. So, I'll invite comments for now.
Anyway, if you care to raise a glass with me - preferably a cosmopolitan - then crank up that U2 album, whatever it may be and take a wonderful gulp.
Therefore, a listen to my most comforting and enlightening U2 CD is required: The Joshua Tree. The album speaks for itself, so no commentary required therein. Although it is important to note, I am Running to Stand Still.
I do need to state that I love this album completely, though I would not declare it the best of all U2 albums. I've had this conversation with several individuals, Jer most recently, and have declared Achtung Baby the best album to date. All That You Can't Leave Behind is stellar because of the consistent mortality theme throughout, but not the best.
Achtung Baby is the most consistent and inventive. I also love that it encapsulates the early-mid-life-crisis that Bono claims to have had during the recording and subsequent tour of the album. It clearly embodies my search for self over the past decade, better than any other album, U2 or otherwise. It claims no particular answers, which is not only a recognition of our fallability, but also a nod to our ability to rise up and declare our independence. Okay, I've started a U2 conversation. With me, this sort of dialogue can get very detailed and long-winded. So, I'll invite comments for now.
Anyway, if you care to raise a glass with me - preferably a cosmopolitan - then crank up that U2 album, whatever it may be and take a wonderful gulp.
Comments:
<< Home
Happy B-Day, bud. Three-oh ain't too bad.
And I thought I was being so inflammatory announcing that there even could be one BEST U2 album -- imagine my surprise to see you nod without hesitation at my suggestion that Achtung Baby was it.
When an album is so good, it's hard to pick favourite songs, but didn't we even agree that Ultra Violet was tops?
And I thought I was being so inflammatory announcing that there even could be one BEST U2 album -- imagine my surprise to see you nod without hesitation at my suggestion that Achtung Baby was it.
When an album is so good, it's hard to pick favourite songs, but didn't we even agree that Ultra Violet was tops?
Happy 30th E!
Although its a school night and I'm fresh out of vodka, I will toast to you with a glass of apple juice :) (besides, Angelo still makes the best cosmos anyways!) I heard the new one by U2 today entitled Vertigo---I immediately thought of you.
Have a great Esther Day!!!!
Jaime
Although its a school night and I'm fresh out of vodka, I will toast to you with a glass of apple juice :) (besides, Angelo still makes the best cosmos anyways!) I heard the new one by U2 today entitled Vertigo---I immediately thought of you.
Have a great Esther Day!!!!
Jaime
I went for a killer ride today and scared the tar out of myself but didn't bail. Came home and had a frosty cold one, is that an adequate celebration of your 30th? Will have to crank the U2 tonite to make it complete.
Cheers!
Cheers!
HAPPY 30TH!!! I have to say without a doubt that The Joshua Tree is my favorite U2 album mainly because of the memories that go along with the songs. Most of them include you of course, listening to them oh so long ago on Jervis St. Whenever a U2 song comes on the radio, I can't help but smile and think of you!
Happy birthday!
Dee
Happy birthday!
Dee
Jer,
Yes, we agreed Ultraviolet is tops, but in my mind that merely applies to "Actung Baby", and not the entirety of the U2 songlist. I love "Running to Stand Still" - maybe more than Ultraviolet. Difficult decision, but if one must take a stand, that is mine.
Est
Yes, we agreed Ultraviolet is tops, but in my mind that merely applies to "Actung Baby", and not the entirety of the U2 songlist. I love "Running to Stand Still" - maybe more than Ultraviolet. Difficult decision, but if one must take a stand, that is mine.
Est
J,
You already hear Vertigo? Wow. I read about it online at U2.com, but haven't had the privilege to hear it yet. I love the name of the new album, "How to Build an Atomic Bomb".
Cheers, E
You already hear Vertigo? Wow. I read about it online at U2.com, but haven't had the privilege to hear it yet. I love the name of the new album, "How to Build an Atomic Bomb".
Cheers, E
Tan,
If you beat your body up and had a bevvy to celebrate (or recoup, or reward), I think I feel somewhat 'toasted'. There is something disgustingly rewarding about pushing your body to the brink of complete disaster. Gross, but good.
Est
If you beat your body up and had a bevvy to celebrate (or recoup, or reward), I think I feel somewhat 'toasted'. There is something disgustingly rewarding about pushing your body to the brink of complete disaster. Gross, but good.
Est
Dee,
I know, I always forced the U2 on you. But, you were always a good sport about listening to it. Doesn't Joshua Tree just capture our high school years (maybe my entire HS years and the early part of yours)? I remember Larry telling us in drama class how U2 was a Christian band, and feeling all violated by it. I also remember wearing a U2 t-shirt and getting in crap from Uncle Jimmy for promoting such a worldy music group, which also turned me off. Funny how the memories flow from one band, from one decade to another.
- Yo sista, Esta
I know, I always forced the U2 on you. But, you were always a good sport about listening to it. Doesn't Joshua Tree just capture our high school years (maybe my entire HS years and the early part of yours)? I remember Larry telling us in drama class how U2 was a Christian band, and feeling all violated by it. I also remember wearing a U2 t-shirt and getting in crap from Uncle Jimmy for promoting such a worldy music group, which also turned me off. Funny how the memories flow from one band, from one decade to another.
- Yo sista, Esta
My favorite U2 song outro is Walk On - I love that the song drips with the truth that when our lives end we leave behind all things material and are left with only what was actually worth pursuing...
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you feel
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you care
All that you sense
All that you scheme
All you dress up
And all that you see
All you create
All that you wreck
All that you hate
It's only time
And I'll never fill up all I find.
Joshua Tree probably gives me the best reflections from a former age and a great travelling disc, Achtung Baby is so full of metaphor & depth so it definitely is a favorite too...I know many people despise the Zooropa & Pop albums but I've really grown to love them too...
ATYCLB came at the right time - so true about the mortality theme but also a reflection on the promise of something beyond life! If the new CD (with yet another long but delightful title) is anything like the single Vertigo - I think we are in for an amazing November!!!
Just my 2 cents...
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you feel
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you care
All that you sense
All that you scheme
All you dress up
And all that you see
All you create
All that you wreck
All that you hate
It's only time
And I'll never fill up all I find.
Joshua Tree probably gives me the best reflections from a former age and a great travelling disc, Achtung Baby is so full of metaphor & depth so it definitely is a favorite too...I know many people despise the Zooropa & Pop albums but I've really grown to love them too...
ATYCLB came at the right time - so true about the mortality theme but also a reflection on the promise of something beyond life! If the new CD (with yet another long but delightful title) is anything like the single Vertigo - I think we are in for an amazing November!!!
Just my 2 cents...
Garth,
I hear ya. Walk On is a stellar song. I heard it live when ATYCLB came to Vancouver and found myself sooooo moved.
I think that people who diss Zooropa and Pop just don't get the bigger picture. I love U2 and I don't think they can ever suck enough for me to consider an album as pooh. I also don't think that a U2 album is quality simply because of its sound. It is quality because of its themes and abilities to communicate those themes through visual and audio ways. Pop blew my mind - it was a mind-blast of how obscene consumerism is today. Seriously, is there any other band out there that would open their tour in a Wal-mart? Beautiful.
I hear ya. Walk On is a stellar song. I heard it live when ATYCLB came to Vancouver and found myself sooooo moved.
I think that people who diss Zooropa and Pop just don't get the bigger picture. I love U2 and I don't think they can ever suck enough for me to consider an album as pooh. I also don't think that a U2 album is quality simply because of its sound. It is quality because of its themes and abilities to communicate those themes through visual and audio ways. Pop blew my mind - it was a mind-blast of how obscene consumerism is today. Seriously, is there any other band out there that would open their tour in a Wal-mart? Beautiful.
I'm still waiting to warm up to ATYCLB...you'd think after four years it would have grown on me. And I really did try. The furthest I've got is to fall in love with In a Little While. Not sure what I'm missing with the rest of it, which everyone else seems to enjoy.
Post a Comment
<< Home

