Friday, September 10, 2004

I am a visual addict. Many of my previous posts refer to cinema, photographs, and books/articles. I am always hungry for a visual feast. These 'feasts' often lead to animated discussions and formulation of ideas with friends.

An art project, titled Every Bus Stop in Surrey, BC, is something that has interests me and presents an opportunity for a visual feast. The Straight article which examines the Sylvia Grace Borda's visual purpose caught my attention with this headline, Photos, Film Capture Surrey's Non-Identity. I may have to check this display or study of Surrey out.

I regularly wonder whether or not to take pictures of Chilliwack as a study of suburban culture. It feels forced, since it is where I live. Taking pictures of places that aren't home is more obvious material to snap. Is it okay to snap a picture of the parking lot at Walmart? It may seem boring, but it is truly a reflection of the culture here. The cul-de-sacs present a completely different element of culture (or not?), where the colours of houses are appropriate and little gadgets purposefully placed on manicured lawns include fake abstract deer and artful invitations on wooded signs intended for bunnies to romp freely. It's a bizarre landscape of "home".

Comments:
You should go check it out for sure, Esther. And I think you could make the non-identity of Chilliwack/Abbotsford an excellent photographic subject as well...start snappin'.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?