Saturday, October 02, 2004
I remember when the sky went black the last time Mount St. Helens erupted. Apparently, I was only 6 years old when that happened (how old am I?). I can recall that the sky was dark in the middle of the day and stayed that way for the duration of the day and night. It was strange.
At that age, being one that was familiar with the scary stories of the Old Testament where millions of locusts take over the sky, I thought it was the end of the world. What is interesting to me now is how casual everyone is taking this eruption. No, there is no lava - but the smoke plumes are massive. The whole thing just brings back memories of my imagination gone wild with frightful potential. Not to mention a deep respect for Nature's great ability to wreak havoc upon us.
At that age, being one that was familiar with the scary stories of the Old Testament where millions of locusts take over the sky, I thought it was the end of the world. What is interesting to me now is how casual everyone is taking this eruption. No, there is no lava - but the smoke plumes are massive. The whole thing just brings back memories of my imagination gone wild with frightful potential. Not to mention a deep respect for Nature's great ability to wreak havoc upon us.