Tuesday, November 23, 2004

For me, stress therapy equals a good, hard, and extremely deliberate run. For others, it can come in the form of a sledgehammer. The group, called StopStress, offers 'damage therapy'. A stressee can take a sledgehammer to anything in the StopStress lot to get out their various aggressions. Often, people choose cars over anything else, though mobile phones come a close second. It is reported that no one makes it past the half-hour mark without attaining a stress-free facial expression (plus they're simply wasted from the effort to hammer down).

Is this productive? Is this what we have come to? I wonder, wouldn't a little more effort in the communication department eliminate one's desire to kill a car? I don't know - maybe people think a long run is equally bizarre, but at least no safety equipment is required.

Comments:
In highschool, each spring we had spirit week. In this week, the highschool study council would throw the very popular spirit week party activity of beating the junkyard car that purchased for $20 in the student parking lot! Even though only a select few participated (usually the "motorheads"), the whole highschool would come out and observe the destruction. Its funny how an event like this was correlated with "spirit". What's more funny is that no one was ever in a bad mood after the event. In fact it was a mood elevator! Hmmm....
 
In one of the houses I used to live in - the tenant before us used to punch his fists into the styrofoam insulated basement walls - I'm assuming to relieve stress or he had an anger management problem?

My stress reliever has always been exercise - skiing, swimming, & definitely mountain biking! In fact, after my busy weekend of hosting 120 youth & youthleaders on campus - I went mtn biking (and slept in the next day)! Listening to music or driving my car would be the next best stress relievers in my opinion!

G
 
J,

I love your reference to 'motorheads'. We need to bring that back into our everyday speech.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?