Thursday, November 18, 2004

Of all of the courses that I am studying at Athabasca University, Labour Studies is by far my favourite. Isn't it interesting that because it was required, I thought it might be a bit dry? Silly me. Though I have enjoyed each text so far, the most recent read of Graham Lowe's The Quality of Work: A People-Centred Agenda, has personally, been quite validating. In each chapter, he not only tackles interesting issues within the Canadian work environment, but also provides direction to potential solutions which have been lingering in my mind as well. No, I don't have the solution to unemployment, but I do think that we've been looking at it in a reactionary fashion rather than proactively.

Of course, I realize that this book is the beginning of more for me. It is supposed to spur me on to create my own solutions to the very real issues of work today. For me, what is important in this learning process - specifically in the study of labour - is that I realize I am, again, looking at a way to formulate my own culture: my work culture. This experiment is lifelong - and this blog may be one of the many tools to facilitate it.

Here are a few Lowe quotes to get a glimpse of what I'm looking at:

"There is some convincing evidence that most Canadians see growing polarization in their society. What is striking about this perception of a nation dividing into haves and have-nots is that close to 80 percent of respondents express concern about this trend, with little variation by demographic characteristics: generally speaking, region, age, education, labour-force status, and household income have little influence. ... When individuals feel they lack control over their lives, they experience stress. And they risk getting caught in a vicious circle of despair and helplessness, which feeds their sense of powerlessness. ... Thus even as large-scale economic change transforms people's lives, one common reaction to that change - a perceived loss of personal control - can undermine the confidence that individuals need if they are to seek positive alternatives. This is a major barrier to the reconstruction of working life."

"People with higher literacy skills tend to earn higher incomes and have a lower chance of unemployment. In other words, an economy that has successfully tapped into the skills of the workforce will be more prosperous and productive than one that leaves workers' literacy skills underutilized. Canada still falls well short of this goal."

There is more good stuff in there - but you can read the book yourself. What is stellar in all of this is that my experiment to define my own culture has ended up in the realm of work. Though this direction was highly likely, and definitely invited, it is turning out to be wonderful to explore and engage in.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?