Tuesday, November 09, 2004
Though I do not consider myself to be a musician, I am often inspired by them. Let me further clarify, I'm not a musician in any way. I learned the piano, as many of you did, while growing up. It seemed like the right thing to do. Though I advanced well through to the age of 14, I had no real talent for it. I could memorize the keys and the technicalities of playing piano - crescendo and so on - but had absolutely no ability to improvise. I think that one's ability to improvise in a given task is proof of whether or not they have any talent for it. Hmmm... another idea to ponder at another time. If I had to choose a musician by which to be consistently inspired, it would have to be Annie Lennox. From her collaboration in the Eurythmics to her solo evolution, Annie Lennox constantly adapts and develops throughout time. I am inspired by her ability to create her own culture. She decidedly uses her talent to communicate life experiences, beliefs, and above all, be creative. Listening to Bare, I find myself transfixed on dreams, dynamism (is that a word or verb or what?), lifestyle, reality with an edge, and a longing for more - whatever it may be. Wouldn't it be fabulous to identify your own culture by the music you most identify with? For me, there are several levels of music identity - the dream state (actual sleep), the waking moments (breakfast), running, evening moods, and work (or study in my current situation). I'll give it a shot... Dream state = Depeche Mode Violator, New Order Waking moments = U2 All That You Can't Leave Behind, Ryan Adams Love and Hell parts 1&2, Annie Lennox Bare Running = No Doubt, Moby Play, Zwan Mary Star of the Sea Evening moods = Radiohead OK Computer, The Cure Galore, Dave Gray Work = Radiohead Hail to the Thief and/or Kid A, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck, Beck Mutations, Rufus Wainright Poses On a similar note, my friend Jaime has begun a new and fabulously insightful music excursion on her blog, Procrastination Attempts. |