Thursday, February 10, 2005
I gotta say, what I experienced today was a first. I visited an industrial factory and supported the lead union representative in directing and successfully completing a final offer vote and subsequent strike vote. It's not every day that you get to experience that!? Although, I shouldn't speak so soon, should I?
I had flashes of Norma Rae and On the Waterfront float through my mind, not because of their similarities, rather because the environment was so alien and bizarre. Of course, my mind immediately defaults to familiar movie scenarios, which makes for dynamic and tense scenes in my mind, while I smile and appear together on the outside.
Though I don't have much information about today's scenario to divulge (simply because I'm only beginning to grasp the large task ahead of me in this new career endeavour), I can confidently say that each day is interesting. The work is rarely routine, constantly changes and brings me to the end of the day, in my wee civicwagon, with a lot to digest. For the most part, I like that.
I'm new - which is new - and that's what I know so far.
I had flashes of Norma Rae and On the Waterfront float through my mind, not because of their similarities, rather because the environment was so alien and bizarre. Of course, my mind immediately defaults to familiar movie scenarios, which makes for dynamic and tense scenes in my mind, while I smile and appear together on the outside.
Though I don't have much information about today's scenario to divulge (simply because I'm only beginning to grasp the large task ahead of me in this new career endeavour), I can confidently say that each day is interesting. The work is rarely routine, constantly changes and brings me to the end of the day, in my wee civicwagon, with a lot to digest. For the most part, I like that.
I'm new - which is new - and that's what I know so far.