Sunday, February 27, 2005
I have completed four weeks at CLAC. This period of time has simply flown by me. I certainly feel that I have a grip on what happens in the office and for the most part, know who does what. Though I'm nowhere near taking on a union local of my own, I do feel confident that the decision to join CLAC is right.
In addition, the education path I began in May last year has proven to be useful. The Human Resources and Labour Relations path is the one for me. The affirmation I find in the course application to my job is truly remarkable.
What I wonder is, can my current, overwhelming, and inexplicable culture shock to work be the sum total of my decisions since November 2003? The obvious answer is yes. What really boggles my mind is that the entirety of those decisions is truly showing now. My compounded journey wraps up in the reason why I haven't been able to articulate the current pulse of my life. I feel a little sorry for sincere inquiries about my changes of late. I don't have a simple response. Much like that of when one returns from a trip, I simply can't say "Yeah, work is good." Maybe I don't want to have a simple answer. I am in a mental state of culture shock. I feel my work life is asynchronous to my person. Eventually, they'll mesh into one synchronized being. For now, we'll all have to live with the idiosyncracies of them, if you don't mind.
*Note some student nerdyness insight here...
Drawing on my current course learnings, I figure that I'm a radical-pluralist... what's the cause of this conflict (radical theory)? And at the same time... how do I 'lead through the middle' (pluralist)?
- That one's for you, A.
In addition, the education path I began in May last year has proven to be useful. The Human Resources and Labour Relations path is the one for me. The affirmation I find in the course application to my job is truly remarkable.
What I wonder is, can my current, overwhelming, and inexplicable culture shock to work be the sum total of my decisions since November 2003? The obvious answer is yes. What really boggles my mind is that the entirety of those decisions is truly showing now. My compounded journey wraps up in the reason why I haven't been able to articulate the current pulse of my life. I feel a little sorry for sincere inquiries about my changes of late. I don't have a simple response. Much like that of when one returns from a trip, I simply can't say "Yeah, work is good." Maybe I don't want to have a simple answer. I am in a mental state of culture shock. I feel my work life is asynchronous to my person. Eventually, they'll mesh into one synchronized being. For now, we'll all have to live with the idiosyncracies of them, if you don't mind.
*Note some student nerdyness insight here...
Drawing on my current course learnings, I figure that I'm a radical-pluralist... what's the cause of this conflict (radical theory)? And at the same time... how do I 'lead through the middle' (pluralist)?
- That one's for you, A.
Comments:
<< Home
I'm really enjoying hearing about your work and learning and figured I should probably actually let you know that so you write more. I am fascinated with the labour relations stuff and it ties in closely with a lot of social work theory. Most social work conondrums that I stew on follow the process of starting with the radical point of view and then stepping back and assessing whether it's more important to make a strong point outside a system(radical action) or facilitate change via action within a system (leading through the middle?). Does that translate into strike vs. bargaining? I am totally clueless about actual union processes and issues.
I love it that you're enjoying it but grieve that like so many jobs, it seems to be all or nothing. I demand a 30 hour workweek as the absolute upper limit. And keep pay the same. I wonder if there would even be any drop in productivity. How does anyone reconcile their work and leisure selves if they have to give over that many hours to make a living?
Post a Comment
I love it that you're enjoying it but grieve that like so many jobs, it seems to be all or nothing. I demand a 30 hour workweek as the absolute upper limit. And keep pay the same. I wonder if there would even be any drop in productivity. How does anyone reconcile their work and leisure selves if they have to give over that many hours to make a living?
<< Home
