Saturday, February 12, 2005
In addition to learning a new job, I've begun another AU course - Intro to Industrial Relations. It is not much of a departure from what I'm learning at work, which is good and bad. Good because it helps my understanding of work, facilitates decent discussion on relevant issues, and quickens the pace of my study. Bad because I don't get to leave work-head and, of course the obvious, it's personal time-suck. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the fresh course and the contents to date.
With regards to work, specifically the study of work (industrial relations) and work culture, here is an interesting quote from the text:
"Theory, then, is not unrelated to the real world: theory and practice cannot be separated. Our actions - and the way we explain or excuse them -are based upon theoretical appraisals of situations, even if we are not aware of them, and so reflect a combination of theory and experience. How people perceive a workplace practice depends upon the views they have of society, their personal experiences, and their values."
I know the above quote isn't mind-boggling, in fact, it is very basic. But, in the same way that it rings true with regards to the conflict-management of various employment relationships, it captures the spirit in which I pontificate (yes, I admit I speak in this fashion) about dreams, values, and subsequent life-altering actions. And why, when one person doesn't find validation in the execution of those dreams and decisions it isn't because the origin of their ideas are wrong. It's because they are based on personal values, which perpetuates the need to deliberately do one's life dreams and/or goals.
So, will the study of Industrial Relations be my solution to the quest of this blog? Hmmm... another post, another time.
With regards to work, specifically the study of work (industrial relations) and work culture, here is an interesting quote from the text:
"Theory, then, is not unrelated to the real world: theory and practice cannot be separated. Our actions - and the way we explain or excuse them -are based upon theoretical appraisals of situations, even if we are not aware of them, and so reflect a combination of theory and experience. How people perceive a workplace practice depends upon the views they have of society, their personal experiences, and their values."
I know the above quote isn't mind-boggling, in fact, it is very basic. But, in the same way that it rings true with regards to the conflict-management of various employment relationships, it captures the spirit in which I pontificate (yes, I admit I speak in this fashion) about dreams, values, and subsequent life-altering actions. And why, when one person doesn't find validation in the execution of those dreams and decisions it isn't because the origin of their ideas are wrong. It's because they are based on personal values, which perpetuates the need to deliberately do one's life dreams and/or goals.
So, will the study of Industrial Relations be my solution to the quest of this blog? Hmmm... another post, another time.