Friday, March 18, 2005

The more I contemplate the concept, the more I want to integrate the Mondragon example of work-life culture to that of my own. It is a radical movement that began in Spain by a group of people who not only had a vision for a counter-capitalist and alternative-union culture, but actually did something about it. I often think about the how and why behind doing something, but making it happen is the hardest part. Don't you find?

Mondragon is a co-operative model of life and work. I believe the greatest accomplishment of Mondragon is the recognition that it is vital for a work organization to make money - ideally, a profit - while building a healthy work community and integrating a democratic leadership approach to decisions. It is the vital component to their success.

So, could this work concept work in North America?

Comments:
I have in the past been very excited about the Mondragon model and then totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to read up on it over again to remember what it was I liked so much.
 
I always wondered how successful Winnipeg's Mondragon Cafe was using their cooperative workplace model. It sort of seemed too good to be true...but maybe it did work.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?