Thursday, March 24, 2005

I hear conflicting reports about what is of the utmost importance to people in relation to their work. For the most part, I hear that people need and want a satisfying, positive, reinforcing work environment. This goes on further to support the fact that people need to work in an environment that supports their work-life balance. The other side of that argument is pretty loud, and it states that people want ample remuneration for their work. Which argument rules? What is it our culture needs versus wants in terms of motivation and effort?

A recent article in the Globe and Mail further explores this. Though I do not subscribe to it, it is titled "Professionals Demanding a Work-life Balance", if you feel so inclined to find it. The article purports that the new era of professionals and managers work longer than ever and want to quit the habit and the trend it dictates upon others. In that, they want to see a re-evaluation of these types of demands from their clients and peers. It's an interesting dynamic of the workforce since they cannot be organized because of their sort of position and professional nature of work. So, what are their alternatives? I find myself asking this same question when I think about the high-tech sector of work and its infamous reputation for 12+ hour days.

So, what does our Canadian culture subscribe to: work hard for more (if that's even possible) money and status or work for a positive and reinforcing work environment which enhances one's work-life balance?

Comments:
In my recent studies, research is indicating that Canadian workplaces and lifestyles are becoming more and more about "quantity" rather than "quality". Our culture stresses high individualism rather than collectivism, and I think all of these are what frustrates people in the workforce. High performance in terms of development is not being rewarded, however meeting deadlines and multi-tasking many jobs at once is regarded as being a "good worker". The majority of Asian countries, such as China and Indonesia, are very low in terms of individualism and high in quality of life. Yet, both are extremely productive countries in terms of structure and work. On a personal note, I feel that I would feel most satisfied if I was in a positively reinforcing environment (even if that means less pay) that recognizes my efforts and supports the idea that I am not just the company I work for, but rather an individual as well. I do not understand the notion that people spend 80% of their time on earth working...yet they hate every minute of it. At the end of the day, what's the point?!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?