Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Over the past few months, several of you have heard my rambling rants about Wal-Mart. I am compelled state a counter-culture declaration that I do hereby, officially boycott any Wal-Mart shopping. Please, make every attempt to cease shopping there!

I found a decent website, titled Wal-Town, which exposes much in the same vein as that of SuperSize Me and McDonalds, the underlying and objectifying operations of Wal-Mart. It is absolutely frightening to me to comprehend the giant impact that Wal-Mart has on our global society. As the current, number one money-maker in the entire world, Wal-Mart is able to determine our social class, type of livelihood, 'freedom' of speech, and global work identity. Wow - that is one huge responsibility. Basically, Wal-Mart has the ability to rule the way the world works. Do we sincerely want to give that power, voluntarily mind you, to these few multi-billionaires?

I shudder at the thought *now* of the times I shopped at Wal-Mart, for that cheap, thirty-six roll toilet paper price, simply because it could save me a few bucks over their competitors. At least I only went there to wipe my butt with their great deals. Haha.

The mindset of those 'deals' have always and still do cause me to wonder:

How can this all be sustainable?
Can they really be making a profit off of these prices?
Isn't it nice of Wal-Mart to offer this great deal to little ol' me?

Comments:
I have to say I have thought many times about the same topic. Isn't Target heading the same direction though?
 
E -
I went to the website and did not find a ton of information in regards to your request to boycott (unless its just too early in the morning and I just missed it!), but I was wondering if you could elaborate on this topic more to allow me to understand (because I want to!). Is this basically labour issues within Wal-mart? My friend had worked for wal-mart for over 7 years and had no real issues with the company. So please, enlighten me!
 
Rachel,

I haven't done much research on Target - any information that you have to offer to learn about it?

BTW, thanks for your posts!

- Esther
 
J,

The labour issues, most recently, have really got me frustrated. I have been contemplating a boycott declaration of them for so long. The recent poor human/labour practices that Wal-Mart has demonstrated has just further pressed me onto declare such a boycott on them. I'm merely declaring a shopping boycott on them. I certainly don't see them as a corporation that I can tackle - so it's my way to state that I do not want to support their business.

I'm fascinated by the question that people ask me: How can you say Wal-Mart is a bad employer? I sort of feel like, how can't they be a poor, irresponsible employer if they decide to shut down an entire location if they certify to be union members - regardless of their employees and their lost jobs, the community's soon-to-be-suffering economy, and the ultimately, their customer's inconvenience?

I also fear the almighty dollar that so few in this company are earning from the business that are further ostracizing our classes from one another. Though I know that it's not realistic for all of man and society to be treated equal, or earn equal $, it would be nice if we at least treated each other with respect and a little bit of dignity.

Outsourcing to China is a messy one for me. It's a controversial country to support. I know I differ with a lot of Canadians on this issue, but it's a country that may not be the best one to align ourselves, or partner, with.

I feel the responsibility of this boycott is greater than I can even fathom yet. It may be the beginning of more digging on this corporate giant, along with others, that I may not be so pleased to part ways with after the discoveries unfold.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?