Saturday, April 02, 2005
In studying Intro to Industrial Relations, I read an interesting paragraph in the study guide that describes trade union goals.
The text states the following:
"Goals must be realistic to be distinguished from "wishes". What is realistic is determined by the resources to achieve them. Goals and means are interrelated, and union goals have evolved as old goals were replaced by newer, more realistic ones. Herein likes the basis of the frequently voiced contention that today's union have betrayed their earlier radical promise, and that what were once "means" have become ends."
What I realized while reading about this version of trade union's goals, is how similar the union(s) is to that of the individual's struggle to realize dreams and goals. Despite the impactful observation about the primary issue facing the labour movement today, is the fact that as individuals, we get stumped in our ability to accomplish our goals (and wishes) because of the limited resources available to us to perpetuate them. I believe that this a merely a perception maybe even an excuse. I believe, rather, that the resources required to live our dreams and wishes are not necessarily immediately recognizable, and thus they appear unattainable. For me, this reinforces that it is vital to spell out what our goals and dreams are to others so that we can identify whom and what our resources, in fact, are.
Getting back to the attainment of trade union's goals - I'll go so far as to say that this statement demonstrates why the traditional approach to trade unionism is faltering. The labour movement in the USA is weak and has been dwindling for 20 years. The Canadian labour movement is steady, yet it needs infusion from that of its members and future members. Each Canadians' workplace goals, collectively woven together, can be realized because of shared knowledge of formerly-unknown resources in order to establish fantastic realities.
My goals and wishes are to infuse greater workplace gender equality, integrate purposeful yet innovative work solutions for work-life balance, and set up examples for the developing nations of the world for quality, job security, training-infused work environments. A tall order, but do-able. Imagine, if we all told another person what our goals and wishes for work are and correlating ideas as to how to accomplish them what resources we might discover and utilize!
The text states the following:
"Goals must be realistic to be distinguished from "wishes". What is realistic is determined by the resources to achieve them. Goals and means are interrelated, and union goals have evolved as old goals were replaced by newer, more realistic ones. Herein likes the basis of the frequently voiced contention that today's union have betrayed their earlier radical promise, and that what were once "means" have become ends."
What I realized while reading about this version of trade union's goals, is how similar the union(s) is to that of the individual's struggle to realize dreams and goals. Despite the impactful observation about the primary issue facing the labour movement today, is the fact that as individuals, we get stumped in our ability to accomplish our goals (and wishes) because of the limited resources available to us to perpetuate them. I believe that this a merely a perception maybe even an excuse. I believe, rather, that the resources required to live our dreams and wishes are not necessarily immediately recognizable, and thus they appear unattainable. For me, this reinforces that it is vital to spell out what our goals and dreams are to others so that we can identify whom and what our resources, in fact, are.
Getting back to the attainment of trade union's goals - I'll go so far as to say that this statement demonstrates why the traditional approach to trade unionism is faltering. The labour movement in the USA is weak and has been dwindling for 20 years. The Canadian labour movement is steady, yet it needs infusion from that of its members and future members. Each Canadians' workplace goals, collectively woven together, can be realized because of shared knowledge of formerly-unknown resources in order to establish fantastic realities.
My goals and wishes are to infuse greater workplace gender equality, integrate purposeful yet innovative work solutions for work-life balance, and set up examples for the developing nations of the world for quality, job security, training-infused work environments. A tall order, but do-able. Imagine, if we all told another person what our goals and wishes for work are and correlating ideas as to how to accomplish them what resources we might discover and utilize!
Comments:
<< Home
E,
I really like your thoughts on an individual's struggle to realize dreams and goals. So often they seem unattainable due to the lack of resources but perhaps we simply have not been creative enough with those resources. I am one of those optimists that is always looking for solutions around problems - in other words - there is always a way but in not be pretty.
I may be ignorant on this topic somewhat but as an outsider it often seems unions often impair a company's progress and vision and thusly, negatively affect the people they are attempting to "help." If a company is unable to be profitable neither will its employees. I am much more in favor of having employees become shareholders in a company and receive "benefits" based on their efforts rather than the campaigning of a union representative, who again is pocketing some of your well-earned money to be your so-called voice.
Take my opinion for what it is worth as I have never been under a contract with a union. But I have friends (teachers & nurses) who have been very frustrated by unions. It's frustrating to see your union dues disappear into yet another coffer (don't get me started on gov't taxes & health insurance premiums) and never see any returns for such an investment.
I'd love to hear others opinions on the usefulness of unions in this day and age. It just seems every company or employer I've worked for would not have been better with a union and maybe I'm in the minority. I definitely see the need for intervention when a company mistreats/abuses its employees or does not provide adequate insurance or benefits.
BTW - is that a pulse I'm sensing on this blog?
I really like your thoughts on an individual's struggle to realize dreams and goals. So often they seem unattainable due to the lack of resources but perhaps we simply have not been creative enough with those resources. I am one of those optimists that is always looking for solutions around problems - in other words - there is always a way but in not be pretty.
I may be ignorant on this topic somewhat but as an outsider it often seems unions often impair a company's progress and vision and thusly, negatively affect the people they are attempting to "help." If a company is unable to be profitable neither will its employees. I am much more in favor of having employees become shareholders in a company and receive "benefits" based on their efforts rather than the campaigning of a union representative, who again is pocketing some of your well-earned money to be your so-called voice.
Take my opinion for what it is worth as I have never been under a contract with a union. But I have friends (teachers & nurses) who have been very frustrated by unions. It's frustrating to see your union dues disappear into yet another coffer (don't get me started on gov't taxes & health insurance premiums) and never see any returns for such an investment.
I'd love to hear others opinions on the usefulness of unions in this day and age. It just seems every company or employer I've worked for would not have been better with a union and maybe I'm in the minority. I definitely see the need for intervention when a company mistreats/abuses its employees or does not provide adequate insurance or benefits.
BTW - is that a pulse I'm sensing on this blog?
G,
I do believe that the moment any one becomes a victim to their current situation they are, in fact, unable to realize their dreams, wishes, and goals. To limit oneself to the visible resources available versus seeking out potential resources is merely existence - not living purposefully.
I hear what you mean about the common negative ideas about unions. In fact, I was there less than six months ago. As you know, I recently engaged in further education in order to become an HR manager for a decent, if not large, corporation. Since those studies began, I learned about the ideas of the historical Canadian labour movement and within a few months, the initial, authentic union purpose unravelled before me. I found myself drawn completely into it, its true purpose and now, well, I'm actively pursuing it at work and in continuing education.
What is interesting to note is that the HR angle is driven primarily by management and the Labour Relations (LR) voice is driven by its members. That definitely turned me to the 'for the people' role versus that of 'for the employer'.
All in all, the unions that get the most press are a small margin of the actual labour activities that go on in BC and Canada at large. A strike or lock-out is a result of a failed negotiation between an employer and the union. In that sense, the media covers only the activities of unions failures, in which the negative tones dominate, since the activity is, in fact, a negative union experience. Strikes and lock-outs are probably less than 10% of the total union-management interactions in our country. I think I'm actually being a little high in that percentile, but I don't have the resource nearby to substantiate it.
Another important item to know is that though many people do enjoy positive work relationships with their employer, the opposite is more often the case. I cannot believe in this day and age, with all of the Human Rights legislation and progressive attitudes toward employee development and so on that such deplorable employment practices exist. Unfortunately, people are regularly unjustly fired, people are not hired based on their race, origin, and sexual orientation, and people are still refused equal pay for equal value. These are some of the varied misuse(s) of power, going on in our country every day.
Unions can be innovators of change. I cannot speak for mainstream unionism since I am on the fringe of the typical Canadian union. I am part of an independent union which is often a target from other unions which see us a competition. It's not much unlike the religious battles that go on within one denomination and/or other religions.
I could go on and on, and I might, another night. :)
Good questions,
E
I do believe that the moment any one becomes a victim to their current situation they are, in fact, unable to realize their dreams, wishes, and goals. To limit oneself to the visible resources available versus seeking out potential resources is merely existence - not living purposefully.
I hear what you mean about the common negative ideas about unions. In fact, I was there less than six months ago. As you know, I recently engaged in further education in order to become an HR manager for a decent, if not large, corporation. Since those studies began, I learned about the ideas of the historical Canadian labour movement and within a few months, the initial, authentic union purpose unravelled before me. I found myself drawn completely into it, its true purpose and now, well, I'm actively pursuing it at work and in continuing education.
What is interesting to note is that the HR angle is driven primarily by management and the Labour Relations (LR) voice is driven by its members. That definitely turned me to the 'for the people' role versus that of 'for the employer'.
All in all, the unions that get the most press are a small margin of the actual labour activities that go on in BC and Canada at large. A strike or lock-out is a result of a failed negotiation between an employer and the union. In that sense, the media covers only the activities of unions failures, in which the negative tones dominate, since the activity is, in fact, a negative union experience. Strikes and lock-outs are probably less than 10% of the total union-management interactions in our country. I think I'm actually being a little high in that percentile, but I don't have the resource nearby to substantiate it.
Another important item to know is that though many people do enjoy positive work relationships with their employer, the opposite is more often the case. I cannot believe in this day and age, with all of the Human Rights legislation and progressive attitudes toward employee development and so on that such deplorable employment practices exist. Unfortunately, people are regularly unjustly fired, people are not hired based on their race, origin, and sexual orientation, and people are still refused equal pay for equal value. These are some of the varied misuse(s) of power, going on in our country every day.
Unions can be innovators of change. I cannot speak for mainstream unionism since I am on the fringe of the typical Canadian union. I am part of an independent union which is often a target from other unions which see us a competition. It's not much unlike the religious battles that go on within one denomination and/or other religions.
I could go on and on, and I might, another night. :)
Good questions,
E
It's great hearing your perspective from inside a union and from the sounds of things this union is quite unlike other unions. Historically, it does appear that unions served a clear purpose but I'm not sure that the majority of larger unions have remained true to the original purpose of making work environments safe, equitable pay, reasonable hours, etc.
In my field of academia - I suppose a union would be useful in negotiating contracts, benefits, salaries, management disputes, etc. In other words, someone else does the dirty work...but I still have to pay for that service. Maybe that's where I move away from agreeing to a union's usefulness. I know, I know nothing is free but when pay is already limited it is hard to give up anything.
Currently I have to pay 25% of the cost of my benefits and my employer pays the remaining. It doesn't seem completely fair to me - how does that line up with the companys your union represents?
Anyways - all the best in your studies! I have another week of teaching and then relative freedom - at least from marking.
G
Post a Comment
In my field of academia - I suppose a union would be useful in negotiating contracts, benefits, salaries, management disputes, etc. In other words, someone else does the dirty work...but I still have to pay for that service. Maybe that's where I move away from agreeing to a union's usefulness. I know, I know nothing is free but when pay is already limited it is hard to give up anything.
Currently I have to pay 25% of the cost of my benefits and my employer pays the remaining. It doesn't seem completely fair to me - how does that line up with the companys your union represents?
Anyways - all the best in your studies! I have another week of teaching and then relative freedom - at least from marking.
G
<< Home
