Wednesday, April 06, 2005

More on my reasons for boycotting Walmart:

Over 200 university intellectuals have signed a public petition to denounce Wal-Mart's labour practices. I have read several unbiased labour and economic studies written by Pradeep Kumar and as a result, I deeply respect and trust his analysis of work today. He has, notably, signed this petition.

Comments:
No matter how much, or little, dirt you dig up on Wal-Mart I find any monopoly suspect. It can't be a good thing. It preys on people with less money to begin with and then sells them cheap shit. I've had an informal ban on them for years although it's hard to know what might be a better place to shop. My first choice is a local independent source, then local chain stores and finally if I still think I need to find something cheapish, Zellers.

The only solution that seems to make me feel better is to talk myself out of needing the thing in the first place if possible. Toilet paper isn't really negotiable (in this culture) but it won't kill me to pay $1 more for it in a smaller store close to home. I probably save $4 in gas anyway if I can walk to it and it keeps me from HAVING to shop at Wal-Mart when everyone else goes out of business. Here I go ranting again and tomorrow I'll see something in a flyer for a department store that I really want...pathetic, isn't it?
 
Tan,

You've got the right mentality. I certainly agree - the prinicple is what I'm resisting, the consumerism that pervades our minds via our cultural dictates.

Isn't it funny, since I've declared my boycott of buying there, several people told me, they merely go there for their toilet paper. What does that say? Maybe we - the TP only crew - are in and of ourselves, keeping the price of TP at Wal-Mart down. Ha!
 
I thought everyone who is in agreement with the boycott would get a grin out of this news story today: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=580&e=3&u=/nm/20050407/bs_nm/retail_walmart_outlook_dc
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?